Google+ Jack Leslie F1: There would be great interest in Scandinavian F1 race – Ericsson

31 January 2016

There would be great interest in Scandinavian F1 race – Ericsson

Marcus Ericsson believes there would be a lot of interest for a Formula 1 round in Scandinavia, although he does not see it happening for "a long time".
© Octane Photographic
The last race to take place in Scandinavia was the sixth Swedish Grand Prix in 1978, at the Anderstorp Raceway. 


There will be three Scandinavians on the F1 grid in 2016 – Finnish drivers Kimi Raikkonen and Valtteri Bottas (Ferrari and Williams) and Swede Ericsson (Sauber). 

"I don't see it happening for a long time but it would be cool for the sport if we can have a race in northern Europe," he explained to Autosport

"We have Swedes, Finns [in F1] and a lot of tradition for motorsport in Scandinavia. So to have a race there would be very, very good and I think a lot of people would watch it. 

"As it is now, the money it costs to do a race, I don't see a country like Sweden will have the money. But I think for sure, there would be great interest for it." 

Ericsson is the first Swedish driver to compete in F1 since Stefan Johansson's last outing at the 1991 Canadian Grand Prix. 

He said the backing from fans in Sweden continues to grow: "The support I have in Sweden is great. 

"We didn't have a driver in F1 for 23 years before I entered the sport, so I appreciate the support. It's great and I can see with my results getting better, there are more people following."

No comments: