Google+ Jack Leslie F1: Dreaming is a dangerous thing in F1 - Hulkenberg

16 January 2016

Dreaming is a dangerous thing in F1 - Hulkenberg

Nico Hulkenberg says he currently feels "very happy" at Force India and admits dreaming about a move to a front-running team is a "dangerous thing" in Formula 1.
© Octane Photographic
The German driver is preparing for his sixth season in the sport and fourth at the Silverstone-based outfit.

Despite a strong end to 2015, Hulkenberg finished 10th in the drivers' standings, one place and 20 points behind his team-mate.

Sergio Perez has recently said he is waiting for another opportunity to race for a top F1 team but Hulkenberg feels content where he is right now. "I have extended my contract at Force India and I am eager to deliver the best," he said in an interview with the official Formula 1 website.

"For me, it’s not just about the rows - there is more to it. Formula 1 has always been a team sport. It’s about the people you work with - and I’m currently very happy with my team."

Deputy team principal Bob Fernley admitted Force India would not stand in the way of Hulkenberg moving to a team higher up the constructors' standings.

He has been linked to Ferrari many times but when pressed on it further, he added: "As I just said, right now I am very happy where I am. Force India is a cool team. And dreaming is a dangerous thing in F1 - especially dreaming in red."

The 2015 Le Mans winner is confident Force India can be strong this season. "I believe that we will be competitive again in 2016, despite what happens with 2017," Hulkenberg explained.

"It´s always difficult to judge what others will do and where you will pan out for the first race, but from what I have seen of what the team is doing and developing, I think we can challenge for good results - probably even better than in 2015."

But scoring a maiden podium in F1 continues to elude him: "Some things will always be beyond your control. But you have to constantly learn from any mistake - especially your own. This is how you get better, and this is what matters. 

"I want to make this my best season in F1: in terms of points and my position at the season’s end. And I want to push myself on to the podium - hopefully and finally! For that, I will just do what I do best: drive fast and enjoy what I love doing."

No comments: