Google+ Jack Leslie F1: Reaction: FIA F1 2015 regulation changes

29 June 2014

Reaction: FIA F1 2015 regulation changes

Overall, my reaction to the FIA’s earlier announcement of regulation changes approved by the World Motor Sport Council for the 2015 F1 season is mixed. 
© Octane Photographic
There are some decisions that I am happy with, but others have left me confused and a little annoyed. Here are my thoughts the main changes. 

The one that jumps out at me is the introduction of standing restarts after safety car periods, which many of the drivers reacted negatively to when I was at the Red Bull Ring for the Austrian Grand Prix – before it was approved by the World Motor Sport Council. 
"Safety Car restarts will now be a standing start from the grid. Standing starts will not be carried out if the Safety Car is used within two laps of the start (or restart) of a race or if there are less than five laps of the race remaining."
I understand why this rule has been approved, but I don’t agree with its introduction. It is aimed at spicing things up and improving the spectacle. After all, the start is one of the most exciting moments. 

However, it could also be quite unsafe with drivers on cold or worn tyres – I am not sure whether they will be able to change Pirelli rubber or not – and we will certainly see more crashes at the first turns. I just think it is unnecessary. 

The current procedure is fine and works well; the only real problem is the time it takes for cars to unlap themselves. I think that is what the FIA should be looking at, as if that time is shortened, the racing can get going earlier. 
© Octane Photographic

Also, a race should have one start and one finish, right? That is how racing should be. Unless it needs to be aborted due to a stalled car or problem, of course. I don’t agree with it and it really surprised me when I first heard about it. However, we will have to see how it works. 
"The number of engines permitted by each driver in a season will be four. However, if there are more than 20 races in a season, the number will increase to five. 
"The penalty for a complete change of Power Unit will be starting from the back of the grid, not the pit lane." 
This has clearly been done in an attempt to cut costs but judging by the current reliability in 2014, plenty of penalties will be dished out. However, the power-units will be better next season so I could well be wrong. I think it may be a step too far though, when five is already a struggle and there are so many races vying for a place on next year’s calendar. 
"The number of wind tunnel runs will be reduced from 80 hours per week to 65 hours per week.
"Wind-on hours are to be reduced from 30 hours per week to 25 hours. 
"Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) usage is to be reduced from 30 Teraflops to 25 Teraflops. 
"Two periods of tunnel occupancy will be allowed in one day (rather than only one). 
"Teams will only be able to nominate one wind tunnel in one year." 
These new rules have been thought up to, again, cut costs and help even the playing field for the smaller outfits. I think this is a good idea but it could limit the creativity of F1 car designers. 
"There will be three pre-season tests of four days each in Europe in 2015 (currently teams are able to test outside Europe). This will be reduced to two tests of four days in 2016.
"There will be two in-season tests of two days each in Europe (instead of the current four). Two of these four days must be reserved for young drivers."
Again, cutting budgets is the plan here and I think this will help. Testing in warmer climates will give teams more representative data and help with development, but at the same time it costs a lot of money. 
© Octane Photographic

I understand why three pre-season tests will be whittled down to two in 2016, as the rules should be remain similar (I hope), but it is a shame to see the in-season events cut in half, as from what I have heard/read all of the teams have benefited from them and it has been given young or reserve drivers more opportunities to get behind the wheel of a current car. 
"The current restrictions to the parc fermé will now apply from the start of P3 instead of the start of qualifying." 
So basically the cars will be locked down for the whole of Saturday, rather than just for qualifying. This will, again, cut costs down and will mean bigger teams with larger budgets cannot fly in parts to test during third practice. It is an interesting idea, I like it but I will have to see how much of an impact it has over a race weekend. 
"The ban on tyre blankets will be rescinded for 2015. This will be re-discussed if and when the wheel and tyre diameter increases in the future."
A lot of the drivers were not fans of the proposal to ban tyre blankets for 2015, so it is good to see that the FIA has changed its mind and possibly taken their concerns into account. This wasn’t really something that was needed and I didn’t really see much point in it, as it could have also added extra dangers. However, now the costs will be recouped (at a reported cost of €200,000) due to Pirelli branding being placed on the tyre blankets. 
"A number of new regulations for the noses to ensure improved safety and to provide more aesthetically pleasing structures."
Firstly I don’t see the look of the noses as a big issue anymore. When I first saw them, I wasn’t overly impressed, but now I have got used to them and it doesn’t bother me. 

However, I know a lot of fans still don’t like the look of the new cars so this will be a welcome change. It will also be good to see the designs tweaked for safety as well, as there are still some concerns surrounding that area. 
  
What do you make of the recently announced rule changes? Let me know on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Sportlobster.

No comments: